AstraZeneca Annual Report and Form 20-F Information 2015
Watch this year in review
2015 was an exceptional year for AstraZeneca, as we made significant progress in meeting both our near- and longer-term strategic goals.Pascal Soriot, Chief Executive Officer
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led biopharmaceutical business with an on-market portfolio in our chosen therapy areas.
Respiratory, Inflammation and Autoimmunity
Product Sales (2014: $5,063m, 2013: $4,677m)
- Respiratory sales up by 7%, including 25% in Emerging Markets, before completion of the acquisition of Takeda's respiratory business
- Sales of Symbicort down by 3%
Cardiovascular and Metabolic diseases
Product Sales (2014: $9,802m, 2013: $8,830m)
- Brilinta/Brilique sales up by 44%, including 64% in the US
- Diabetes sales up by 26%, including 76% in Emerging Markets
- Sales of Crestor fell by 3% reflecting competition from generic statins and pricing pressure
Product Sales (2014: $3,027m, 2013: $3,193m)
- Oncology sales up by 7%
- New Oncology included for the first time (comprising Lynparza, Iressa (US) and Tagrisso)
- Lynparza launched in 15 markets and sales of $94 million
Infection, Neuroscience and Gastrointestinal
Product Sales (2014: $8,203m, 2013: $9,011m)
- Sales of Nexium declined by 26%, including 52% in the US following loss of exclusivity
- Sales of Seroquel XR fell by 12% and Synagis fell by 26%
We have distinctive R&D capabilities in small molecules, biologics, immunotherapies, protein engineering and devices.
We also have personalised healthcare and translational science capabilities.
We have a strong global commercial presence, with strength in Emerging Markets.
Product Sales (2014: $10,710m, 2013: $10,328m)
- Sales in the US declined by 6% reflecting entry of generic Nexium products and adverse Synagis guideline changes
- Favourable performances were delivered by Brilinta, Farxiga, Bydureon and Lynparza as well as the acquired Respiratory medicines, Tudorza and Daliresp
- Sales in Canada grew by 4%
Product Sales (2014: $6,638m, 2013: $6,658m)
- Sales declined by 6%
- Strong growth for Diabetes medicines was offset by generic competition facing Crestor and Seroquel XR
- 14% decline in Symbicort sales reflected adverse pricing movements driven by competition from analogues in key markets
International and Japan
Product Sales (2014: $8,747m, 2013: $8,725m)
- Emerging Markets revenue grew by 12% to $5,822 million, including China sales growth of 15%
- Sales in Japan grew by 4% to $2,020 million
- Opened facility in Russia
Our talented employees are committed to achieveing our Purpose in a sustainable way.
61,500 employees worldwide
8,900 employees in R&D
12,500 employees in Manufacturing and Supply
All employee numbers are approximate as at 31 December 2015.
Strategic R&D centres
Increasing our proximity to bioscience clusters and co-locating around three strategic R&D centres.
Gaithersburg, Maryland US
Our disciplined capital allocation enables commitment to a progressive dividend.
Net cash shareholder distributions increased to $3,443 million
Dividend per Ordinary Share unchanged
The Board of Directors has sought to ensure that AstraZeneca's achievements in 2015 were underpinned by strong corporate governance.Leif Johansson, Chairman